Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Surprise!

Here it is, July already. Folks, that little hiatus was the longest I've gone without blogging in FIVE YEARS. Nope, I haven't been blogging elsewhere, just not writing at all. No wonder I feel like my brain no longer works correctly!

In any case, today I felt compelled to sit and write.

I don't have any grandiose reasons for writing, no out-of-place product reviews, or attempts to monetize. I write because I don't really have anyone to talk about adult things. It's either write or talk to myself, and honestly, I'm kind of sick of the sound of my own voice.

First off, the good news. My father finally had shoulder surgery in May, and is on the road to recovery. I can't wait until he is done with physical therapy, and back to normal. In addition, his 3-month cancer check came back normal, and we're hoping the 6-month check will as well.

More good news: My grandmother is FINALLY coming home after a 6-month ordeal after having surgery for cancer, where she had some lymph nodes removed as well as a tumor. We visited her in the Pocahontas Hospital on Sunday, and she was doing wonderfully well! I was practically in tears the whole time (and am now!), just so happy to see her doing so much better. The skilled care at that hospital was extraordinary. They saved my grandmother, and there is no way to thank them enough for that. She gets to come home tomorrow!

And more good news, although not quite of the same importance: We are finally moving in 16 days. I am trying desperately to get everything packed pretty much by myself. The 15-year old hasn't been much help, although he is one stellar garbage-taker-out-er, and has nearly single-handledly dragged all purged items to the dumpster for me. So, he's been a LOT of help that way.

The big problem with moving is that it really, really is a ton of work, even if you have months to do it. I feel like I've been packing forever. I've been living around boxes all summer. I still can't believe how much stuff I have, even after purging a lot of furniture and other items. To be honest, most of the stuff I've packed may not be sticking around after the move. I'm unpacking what I really love, and I'll go through the rest of it one box at a time. My mother is coming to help the day before the move, and I intend to have all of the big chores out of the way, so we can focus on last minute cleaning and organizing for the move.

News on the Faire-front is also good. Wow! This might just be the summer without drama, but still lots of excitement! We attended the Dubuque Renaissance Faire at the end of May, and even had hotel rooms this time. That is an interesting story that deserves its own post. Later this month, I get to attend a performance of "Twelfth Night" as Bess Throckmorten, to my friend Lynne's Queen Elizabeth. In September, we of course have the Des Moines Renaissance Faire for the first three weekends. For the last weekend of September, and the first of October, we have a new faire in Door County, Wisconsin. We will be flying for that one. Luckily, they will be chartered flights, not commercial. In addition, each Saturday evening after this faire, we will be going to a good restaurant for dinner, to help promote the faire (again, this faire is paying for everything except dinner Friday/Sunday, and breakfast Saturday).

Six of the group members also get to go to the Bahamas August 8th for an event at a private school in Nassau (all expenses paid!!!!!!!!). I'm really jealous, but there were multiple reasons I wasn't able to go (moving, no passport, etc). Hopefully I'll get to go next year!

Now, you shouldn't think that everything's been perfect this past few months. We did have a run of extremely bad luck for quite a long stretch of time.

The day after my last post, my son called to tell me he lost his glasses on a ride at Disneyland. He lost his cell phone at Kennedy Space Center. I ended up being sick with a nasty respiratory illness for FIVE weeks, and went through two courses of antibiotics, plus steroids before finally beating it. I'm still not fully recovered, and my immune system seems to be taking a break, meaning I get EVERYTHING that goes around. I also haven't been able to sing pretty much most of the summer. I am practicing more lately, as I need to be able to sing by the time the faire rolls around.

Ian also ended up getting really sick in April. It started with ear infections that just would not go away. Six weeks worth, including 8 missed days of school due to not being able to stand up without being nauseous, three courses of antibiotics, ear drops, and ear flushing. He hadn't had problems with his ears in 10 years, and suddenly, he had terrible problems.

We keep joking that it was because he grew too fast! Seriously. He hit 6 feet tall last week, and shows no signs of stopping there. I'm growing nostalgic for the good old days, when he was a baby, and didn't take up half of the living room when sitting on the couch with his feet on the ottoman. ;)

So, while this year has had its challenges, I think that I was able to make changes that will really help make our lives better in the future, and also have really come to know exactly how important my family is in my life.

Here's hoping that the rest of the year is much better than the first half!

1 comment:

http://www.horoscopo-diario.com.ar/ said...

As a newly published author and friend of Mary's, I greatly appreciate the information and the contributions made by the other authors. Thanks so much ladies!