Saturday, July 26, 2008

Why is the alarm set for 3:20 a.m.????

Long day.

I have to get up at 3:20 to give my son another dose of tylenol, to keep his fever down. He's been running a fever of about 101°F with the tylenol, and about 102 without it. The last reading before the last dose of tylenol, however, was 102.9°F. My plans of letting him sleep all night to get recharged have changed. I am not risking having that fever be that high for several hours. No way, not good. I'm just glad he's 14 and not 4 at this point, so he's really helping out by resting and doing what he needs to do to get better.

The doc says that it's most likely a virus causing the headache, muscle pain, slight sore throat and high fever. The quick strep test came back negative, and the results from the longer culture should come tomorrow or Sunday. For now, all I can do is keep him hydrated, and giving tylenol to keep the fever down to a manageable level.

I am pretty sure that things will be better tomorrow morning, but it's still shocking to see that high a number on a thermometer...

No comments: