Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Still uploading...

After determining that I really needed to audit my radmind server, I sat down yesterday and spent a couple of hours figuring out what transcripts are being used, which will be retired after I update to Tiger or move machines, and which can be deleted altogether. I ended up being able to reclaim about 5 GB of space, which is good, as I will need it for the rest of the Tiger image.

Now, the "hurry up and wait" part starts. I will install each software package, run it one time, check for updates, and then create a new transcript to upload the software to the radmind server (takes anywhere from 10 minutes, to 20). Once it is at the server, I update it and check it in, then verify it, before adding it to the correct command file. Back on the client, I run radmind update, which checks that the new transcript applies okay, and then reboots the machine.

And then I start over with the next software package.

In the down times, I am planning how exactly to shift 60 machines with the least amount of disruption possible. I am also trying to figure out just where those 20 machines from the teaching lab are going to be stored while waiting to be installed elsewhere.

Hmmm... maybe I had better go and clean out the back storage room a bit more...

No comments: