Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Bored. Filling time.

My son is at home sick again today. I took him to the doctor, and he has a virus that causes sore throat and body aches. He should be well enough to go to school tomorrow (crossing my fingers!!!!!!!!!!!). Nothing we can do, really, as it isn't strep. Just rest, liquids, and tylenol for the pain/fever (his fever is pretty much gone by now).

In any case, this means I have been stuck at home for the last couple of days. I am really bored. Really bored.

I was so bored that I decided to look up a couple of books on Amazon, and see if they had copies at a reasonable price for sale. I've wanted these books for a really long time, and that feeling was magnified by getting to thumb through them at Holly's house on Saturday. One book is out-of-print, and I wanted to see what the options were for used copies. The other is still in print, but can be a little pricy, so I wanted to see what the options for that one were as well.

I ended up ordering both, as the prices were very good. I am looking forward to receiving these books in a couple of weeks. All ren faire earned money goes back into costuming or other faire related expenses, and these books will help enormously with the costuming part!

* For those of you who are costuming buffs, here is what I ordered:

Elizabethan Costuming (For The Years 1550 - 1580) (Paperback) - I have heard some excellent reviews, and some not-so-excellent reviews of this book. I liked what I saw Saturday, which is why I decided to go ahead and buy it. I'll get what I can from this one.

Patterns of Fashion: The Cut and Construction of Clothes for Men and Women C1560-1620 (Paperback) - This is the one I am really excited about, after drooling over it for an entirely too short of time on Saturday. Excellent photos of extent garments, and detailed drawings as well as patterns. By patterns, I mean drawings on grids, and the patterns pieces are to be drafted by hand to the correct size and scale (1 inch grid). Very intimidating, but this book has the potential to teach me sooooo much. I can hardly wait!

I think I need to get another bookshelf for my room...

No comments: