Saturday, January 12, 2008

Wow - I actually sewed garb today!

Surprising, isn't it?

I have been trying to get to that gorgeous gold fabric for months now, and just never could find the time. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it, which is rare, and I have to say it is going to look even more gorgeous that I had thought.

Here is a progress pic on the forepart:


The trim is just pinned on in this photo. There will also be gold twisted cord following the edges of the trim, and pearls added to the flowers on the fabric of the forepart. This is truly lovely in person, as it is difficult to see the stylized flower design on the trim (flash on metallic thread doesn't show up well). I have enough that I am going to add it to my old forepart as well, to spice it up. In fact, I really want to find more of it, so I can use it in my new red gown that I have planned, but that may be going overboard a bit...

Did I mention there are sleeves to go with this? I am making paned sleeves, with gold cord on the edges, and perhaps a bit of thin satin ribbon right next to the gold cord, in the same color of red as the trim on the forepart. I like the paned sleeves, because they allow AIR to get through to my arms, thus cooling me a bit. I have the gold fabric and the lining cut out, but I didn't want to sew them yet today.

I am thinking that I may need to flat-line the outer fabric, to give it more body. I used cotton drill for the lining of the forepart, but I don't want to use anything that heavy in my sleeves (I'll already be wearing four layers, with my corset and bodice. No sense putting it in my sleeves, too.). I have some more quilters cotton in a light buff color that I suppose I could use. I chose a gold in a shade darker than the outer fabric for the lining, but I don't have enough of that left. Together, that should make the sleeve appear to have more weight, but still be fairly cool.

Anyway, I can't wait to see the final product, as I think the set will be quite lovely. I am excited to be finally getting started on 2008 garb!

No comments: