Sunday, December 17, 2006

What the heck?

I cleaned the ceiling fan in the dining area this morning. Since three of the light bulbs burnt out in the course of a few weeks (um... maybe months, but I just noticed it a couple of weeks ago), I decided to change them. It uses normal sized bulbs.

The problem is, the actual sockets that the bulbs screw into actually rotate.

As in, when you try to unscrew the bulb, the socket twists the same way. Meaning, the bulbs are not actually coming out of the sockets.

This is a problem, for obvious reasons.

I don't remember this being an issue last time a bulb burnt out. Maybe my dad was here and replaced them for me... Anyway, I did manage to get one out by carefully grasping the socket with my fingers, and then had a similar problem trying to get the new one in. I still don't think I got the new one in all of the way, but it turns on, so I am not going to worry about it. The other two seem to be closer to the top of the shade, and I can't get my fingers in well enough to hold the socket while I remove the bulbs.

It is obvious now that one should use small bulbs rather than normal sized ones. However, there were normal sized bulbs in it when I moved in, so I assumed that it needed normal bulbs. I am going to make it a goal to get these bulbs replaced with smaller ones during vacation. No idea how to do it, other than turning off the circuit that the fan uses, so I don't have to be so paranoid about accidentally touching the metal.

No comments: