Saturday, April 21, 2007

I, for one, never thought J.C. would have agreed with the idea of Limbo, either.

Vatican panel condemns limbo to eternal dustbin

ROME — Limbo has been in limbo for quite some time, but is now on its way to extinction.

A Vatican committee that spent years examining the medieval concept published a much-anticipated report Friday, concluding that unbaptized babies who die may go to heaven.

That could reverse centuries of Roman Catholic traditional belief that the souls of unbaptized babies are condemned to eternity in limbo, a place that is neither heaven nor hell. Limbo is not unpleasant, but it is not a seat alongside God.

Catholic doctrine states that because all humans are tainted by original sin, thanks to Adam and Eve, baptism is essential for salvation. But the idea of limbo has fallen out of favor for many Catholics, who see it as harsh and not befitting a merciful God.

I had a further response to this, but since one of my iron-clad rules is to not discuss religion or politics with friends, I deleted it. Suffice it to say that I am glad they did away with Limbo. I never truely believed that it existed anyway.

No comments: