Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Accessibility Issue

So, it's voting day here in Ames, and I went to the Ames Tribune website to get some info. They had a link to the map of voting precincts, so I downloaded it to check that nothing had changed (this has happened to me before).

6.7 MB PDF file. Bad. Bad. Bad. You would think that it must be really high quality then. Nope. I had difficulty reading it, and zooming in just revealed a big mess. It looks like it was a lower quality JPEG that was PDFd because someone told the person they needed a PDF for people to download.

I am very disappointed. This is something that people need access to, and they have made it difficult for anyone on a dial-up connection to get, and difficult for anyone with vision problems to even see after they spend hours trying to download it. Honestly, they could have just shown this as a GIF in the browser at a higher quality, with a smaller file size.

No comments: