Friday, November 04, 2005

Once again, I have too much stuff.

This weekend is hereby designated as "Throw out your crap!" weekend!!!

This means that all of those clothes that I thought I HAD to have, are going away to new homes. Actually, to one new home - the DUMPSTER. You may ask why I don't give it to Goodwill. One simple reason: if I bag it up for Goodwill, it will sit in my living room, waiting for me to have a moment to take it. Honestly, I would not want to inflict the sheer hideousness of my old clothes on ANYONE.

My goal is to reclaim my closet. Back in January, when my son had the chicken pox and was out of school for SIX DAYS, I went through the first round of cuts. So, it's not as bad as it could have been. I am going to get another shelf for the camping gear, which is out of control. We camp a lot. We've camped once a month since April (except I camped twice in April). Oh, and July, but that doesn't really count, as we camped for an entire week in June.

In any case, we have a lot of camping gear. It's hard to get to. I want to change that.

I also have a surprising amount of renaissance faire garb that has taken over part of the closet. And tons of shoes that I don't wear, and never will again, because they are ugly or uncomfortable.

This is just my closet, understand. The kitchen cupboards could be purged again, too. I clean out the 'frige once a week, so that's not a problem.

The big problem is my son's room.

He has too many toys, and insists that he needs to keep them ALL. His idea of cleaning his room is shoving everything to the sides, and under the bed in typical kid fashion. Unfortunately, this results in my never being able to open the side of the closet that has the shelf with his bins for clothes. I am always reaching blindly to put things away. I'd like to be able to open the doors.

So, bribery will be in full force tomorrow morning. We will be taking a large amount of toys to goodwill (even I don't throw away toys!). If things go well, there may be a trip to the train show in a nearby school. If not, well... there may still be a trip to the train show. I just want to see effort, and get rid of some stuff. It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be done.

No comments: