Wednesday, November 23, 2005

They got SOMEthing right, anyway...

This morning, I had to take my son and one of his friends to school. I have been dreading this, as there are 1800 kids in his school. Normally, he takes the bus, but as they are operating on break schedule, the bus that he normally takes is not running (he had a tardy on Monday - first time EVER - the bus did not have any signs announcing the change, so he and every other kid on the later bus had to go to the office for tardy slips).

I was dreading this based on my experience with his elementary school.

Sawyer elementary has one of the most screwed up methods for drop-off and pick-up imaginable. There is only one way into the parking lot, and only one way out (you have to drive past the bus drop-off to get out of the parking lot, even if you dropped the kids off on the other side of the school). It was a nightmare.

I was not looking forward to having the traffic increased six-fold.

So, imagine my surprise this morning when I saw the buses go to their own drop off point at the back of the school. I turned in at one of the parking lots, and followed it around a wide circle drive with ample space to pull out and around those who need to stop longer for the kids to grab various musical instruments and the like. There was no wait at all. We pulled up, the kids got out, grabbed their bags and the drum, and were off. I was able to get out of the parking lot right away. There were plenty of kids arriving, but the traffic was contained. There is at least one other circle for drop off, and plenty of parking if parents need to help kids bring in projects.

Whoever designed the parking lots knew what they were doing. It gives me great hope for the future of this new school as a whole.

And I no longer need fear picking up or dropping off...

No comments: