Saturday, November 05, 2005

Mooommmm, play with meeeeee????!?!?

My son is under the impression that I am dying to play video games that give me motion sickness. He is dying for someone to play Rogue Leader with him, so he can blow them to bits with his B-Wing. No matter how many times I tell him that I get migraines from playing games like that, he keeps asking.

I LOVE the fact that he wants to spend time with me. I know that these years/months are precious, and will be coming to an end soon. The teenage years are always at the back of my mind, when I know that I will be relegated to the role of food provider and parental oppressor. Don't get me wrong - I would love to play games with him. I just wish that he wanted to play something else, and would not ask at inopportune times (i.e. when in the midst of supper preparations, or in the bathroom).

This is why I wanted to take him to the train show today. I wanted us to do something that he liked and was interested in, but apparantly, his interests changed while I wasn't looking. Dumb Mom.

It's the age he's at. I've talked with his friends' parents, and it's pretty much the same story there. They fight with their friends, but get upset when you suggest not spending as much time with those friends. They snip at each other, and are exerting their independence fiercely. They talk back, and try to see how much they can get away with. If they still had recess, I am sure they'd be able to get this agression out during football or tag, but with the new middle school, they don't.

As for tonight, I am going to go start dinner, then I'll dig out the chess set, and the dominos, and see if he wants to play. It may not be Star Wars video games, but at least I won't get sick.

1 comment:

jennifer said...

Update: We watched Napoleon Dynamite and Spaceballs and played this really old Harry Potter game, and Mancala. So, I think I did alright. He even liked the chicken and rice burritos...