Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Way Cool!

It's not very often that I get a chance to do something cool with technology. Oh wait...

Okay, it's not very often that I get a chance to do something cool with technology that is outside of my field.

Tonight, our boy scout troop got a chance to visit the C6 Lab, on the Iowa State University campus, in Howe Hall. This guy was there, too! We had a chance to test a new fire safety training program that uses virtual reality. The kids had an absolute blast, and I think most of the adults had fun, too. I was particularly thrown by how fast fire can engulf a room, and many of the unsafe practices we saw in the model home opened my eyes as to what we can do to make our home safer. And --- no notion sickness this time!!!!

I am a fireman's daughter, and my dad taught fire safety in my hometown school quite frequently. There is a vast difference, however, between hearing how fast a fire can spread, and seeing how fast it can spread. Literally in seconds we went from pointing out the unattended food cooking in the kitchen, to having the room fill with black smoke. Yes, all computer generated, but it was still unsettling.

So, thanks, folks at the C6 Lab and the Ames Fire Department! I know that my son and I had a good time, and we walked away feeling we learned something. I am going to go remove my hat from the top of my halogen lamp now...

No comments: