Friday, May 05, 2006

Waiting for bad news...

After an evening that started out by getting out of work over an hour later than usual, I am sitting here, waiting for the news to come on, waiting for an email or a phone call.

This isn't about my family or anything.

I was in Hy-Vee, buying breakfast for tomorrow, and a coconut for my son, when I ran into one of the ladies that works in my building. Apparently, one of our senior graphic design students who was due to graduate tomorrow, was in an accident this afternoon, and did not survive.

I am more than a little shaken up right now. These are the wonderful kids who are in my labs day in and day out (and often into the early morning hours). These are the kids who were so wide-eyed and excited to be in the program, and who I've watched mature in personality and in their art for the last four years. These are the ones who were so excited to be going forth into their careers.

No matter what the name they finally release, it will be a terrible loss. I can't imagine what tomorrow is going to be like at the Convocation in the Design building. I only hope that they can get this student's peers notified before the ceremony.

At this point, I don't even want to think of who it could be... I just want it to not have happened.

No comments: