Saturday, October 14, 2006

Lazy Afternoon, and Pot Roast

Here I am, a little headachy because I took a nap this afternoon, and slept a little longer than needed. It is truly a luxury to be able to stay at home for a day, and have nothing that absolutely has to be done. It has been months and months since that has been the case. It is chilly out today, and it was very cold this morning. Perfect weather for one of our favorite meals...

When I woke up from my nap, I put the bread that had been rising into the oven. While it baked, I got out my big soup pot, and the oil, and spices, and took the pot roast out of the refrigerator. I heated a bit of oil in the pot, salted the roast, and seared the sides of it. I put the roast in my baking pan, and seasoned it (there are about 8 different spices in the mixture I use). After adding water, I sprinkled the spices in the water, too, covered it with foil. I took the bread out when it was done, and the house smells wonderful. I am a sucker for fresh baked bread.

In an hour and a half, I will add the potatos, onions, and cabbage (the last is an experiment, neither of us like cooked carrots). When it's done, I'll mash the potatoes, and make gravy. We are going to have a ridiculous amount of food, but it will make very good leftovers.

update: Cabbage = Not good. Kinda gross, actually. The rest of it was great. But the cabbage was tasteless. And BTW, the onions are for flavor, not for eating. In case you were grossed out or something.

Pot roast is something that can be done simply, or complicated, depending on your mood and taste. Everyone who makes it has their own recipe. My mother always just put the plain roast in a baking dish with just water, not even salt or pepper, and adds potatoes and carrots later. It's good that way, but very plain and simple. I think she still makes it that way.

I'm not afraid to try something new, and have experimented over the years, to try to come up with something very flavorful. The last time I made pot roast I was looking for something new to try. On a whim, I took out my salt shaker that holds the blend of spices for Garlic Lime Chicken, from Saving Dinner. I used it to season the roast. From the first bite, I knew that I had hit the mark. I think only minor, minor variations from now on.

So, for the rest of the afternoon and evening, the house will be full of the best, most comforting smells. Fresh bread and pot roast!

And the best part is, leftovers for tomorrow... (and possibly Monday. I have no idea why I bought such a big roast...)

No comments: