Thursday, October 05, 2006

Today is gorgeous

I ended up working all day, instead of going home after lunch or not working at all, as originally planned. It ended up being for the best, as we had lots of things go wonky.

I spent about half an hour sorting the papers that had piled up on my letter trays. The letter trays are a catch-all for things that I don't really need to deal with right away, or at all, hand-outs for training, and various file folders of stuff I started working with, and ended up just not putting away. I threw away a ton of papers. I still have one tray left to tackle. As I was doing this, my boss came in an asked me to trace a problem in our ArchDesktop 2007 in the labs.

I started working on that problem, and ended up playing around with archdesktop for about 50 minutes in the morning, then about 45 minutes in the afternoon, while I confirmed the problem. I didn't have a clear list of what was supposed to be wrong, but the Content Browser kept crashing, so I assumed it was something related to that. I found a solution on the autodesk forums. It was a problem introduced with a recent windows security update. The solution is to remove the update. Easier said than done when you have as many windows machines in the labs and in the hands of students as we do.

I was kept busy up until the last minute today by a multitude of things, including, but not limited to: having a service person do maintenance on our good wide-format printer (yay!), moving plastic to the backroom (thanks for the help, Jon!), receiving an iMac off of the UPS truck (thanks, griffeymac and the RedHead!), having to edit and recompile printer install scripts, then locate the sparse disk images so that I could replace the old scripts, delete the printers from my iBook, install the printers to check to see if they work, then upload the new disk images to the mac server, and, and...

You get the picture...

You know what, though? Busy is good. Less time to feel sorry for myself. I really just want to be with my family, and I know I will feel better when I get to Manson tomorrow. I think part of the reason that I have been having such a hard time with all of what's been happening is because I've been pretty much by myself. 12 year olds don't count, because they are mainly more interested in video games, and what's going on at school. He's sad one minute about Benji, then the next minute, he's playing Warcraft or StarCraft. Kids cope by playing. Adults need real people, hugs, hand-holding, etc..

No comments: