Saturday, February 11, 2006

Kids. Erg.

After my son ate lunch, he sat down in the living room chair. I was going about my business, and happened to glance at his feet. He quickly moved his right foot to cover his left, but I had already seen what he did not want me to see.

His left big toe was swollen and had gunk around the toenail.

I immediately did the stupidest thing I could have done, which was to react normally with an "OMG! What's wrong with your toe!!??"

"Let me see it!"

"NO!!!!"

"... you have to let me see it. You have an ingrown toenail and it's INFECTED!!!!"

"NO!!!"

(at this, I made a slight exaggeration, backed up by fact, but it was NECESSARY, as he would not let me look at his toe.)

"Do you want to lose your toe?"

"Whaaat?!"

"You heard me. It's infected. If we don't do something about it..."

Obviously, I got to look at the toe. I also managed to get to use the tweezers to free the part that was ingrown. He is now soaking his foot in hot soapy water, with the attendant complaints that it is too hot. Tough, was my answer. We have to get it cleaned and the swelling down.

He claims that it didn't hurt, and he also claims that he didn't tell me because he didn't want me to worry. I explained that for things like this, he HAS to tell me, and it is RIGHT for me to worry about them. He says he first noticed it Thursday night. Bull, I said. But, he clammed up, and won't tell me more. I've had ingrown toenails before, and it has to be very painful for him. I don't know why he didn't tell me this before. If he had told me Thursday night, he could have seen the doctor yesterday. The clinic is closed now, and this is not yet to the point where he needs to go into the emergency room.

So, we are going to work to get this clean and keep the nail up and out this weekend. On Monday, he's going to the doctor if there is not significant improvement. He got a lecture on how important it is to pay attention to his feet, and how to spot signs of infection.

As for me, I could have done without this, especially since I haven't yet had lunch. But, I am glad I made him show me his foot. What a stinker to try to keep something like that from me. Like he'd get in trouble, or something.... I'm just upset that he had to go through more pain than was necessary by waiting to bring this to my attention.

No comments: