Sunday, February 12, 2006

Yikes, I almost forgot to post today!

Went to see Arsenic and Old Lace this afternoon at the Actors building. We ended up walking, as it is only about two blocks from where we live. Considering I wore a skirt and heels for the occasion, it probably wasn't the best idea, but it was sunny out, and my son insisted.

The play was very good, and we had a great time. My son thought it was pretty funny, especially when Teddy yelled, "Charge!" everytime he ran up the stairs. In fact, I was treated to a reprise of that when we got home. And several times since then.

The play itself was very enjoyable, and the cast did an excellent job. There was one actor who needed to learn to annunciate, but other than that, very fine job all around.

The only downside to the day would have been that it is very awkward being amongst a group of people who all seem to know each other, and everyone in the plays. It seems like they've all either been going to productions for years, or have been in productions, worked in all aspects of the theatre. It's like a club, where no one sees you if they haven't already been introduced to you either on stage or backstage. It wasn't comfortable for me, mostly because I can be somewhat shy sometimes (okay, quit laughing!). I didn't know anyone in the audience, so we ended up just sitting and listening to everyone around us talk through the intermission.

Listening to everyone, I was struck by a thought. You can always tell actors from non-actors, simply by the way they speak. There is a particular style that those in theatre have, as opposed to those in film and TV. Actors have it even when they are in the audience. There's nothing wrong with it at all, it is just odd to be surrounded by it when you are not used to it.

By the time it was over, I was kicking myself for wearing a skirt and heels (and not even heels I like. These were in my donate pile when I suddenly realized that I hadn't yet bought a pair to replace them. They are already back in the bag. Yuck.). We went through the receiving line, and were out in the cold air before I really even registered that it was over. I spent what was left of the afternoon on the couch, my blanket pulled up around my ears, as they felt like someone had poured freezing water into them. Two blocks in freezing wind will do that to you.

My son already asked if we can see the next play on the list. This from a kid who swears he will not go out for drama, even after finding out that it's not all singing, like he thought it was. He enjoys his improv group, and is heading to a competition in a couple of weeks, but he does not, will not equate that with acting. Whatever. I guess it keeps me from having to drag him around to rehearsals and stuff.

In any case, it was a good day for a play. There are three more performances, so catch it if you have time. For more details, visit the Actors' site. Tickets have to be bought at Gallery 319 downtown, so don't leave it until the last minute.

"Bully!"

No comments: