Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Somewhat on the ragged edge...

I am coming down with a cold. It is very cold here today, and the last thing I want to do is drag my son out to religious ed. I want to stay at home.

Last night, my son talked me into watching a movie with him. We ended up using the computer in my room to play Christmas Vacation. He camped out on the floor, while I tried valiantly to stay awake. Finally, at 9, I made him get a shower and get to bed. I dozed off, and when I woke up at 10, he was still reading in bed. After I turned off his lights, he put the book down. I crawled under my covers, and didn't move until just about 6am, at which point I rolled over, and went back to sleep.

And now, I am tired again. There is something going around at work. It's called "The End of the Semester." Symptoms include headache, nausea, heartburn, fatigue, distraction, and irritibility when asked the same question by three people in less than three minutes (sorry, folks, I'm trying my best). I'm not the only person who has come down with this malady. The students are in panic mode, a feeling I remember all too well from my many years in undergrad and graduate school. You haven't lived panic until you have a three-year-old child who decides to eat nearly an entire bag of hershey's kisses, while you're in the shower, the day before your oral final in the toughest class in grad school. I was awake all night waiting for more puke, and for my mom to get there to pick him up and take him home - but I got 100% on that final. I ROCKED! And the chocolate was locked up for many years after...

The only cure to this will be the three weeks that we are closed for the semester break, with a big emphasis on the 5 vacation days I am going to use (I think we get the 25th and 26th..., and of course, the 1st).

I just have to make it through the next two and a half weeks...

No comments: