Tuesday, November 14, 2006

You win some, you lose some...

So yesterday, I had a multitude of problems to deal with. I was pretty busy until around nearly 4:00, but I managed to fix everything, even if I did go to lunch an hour and a half late. In the old days, I would have just skipped lunch, and ended up in a foul mood, feeling sorry for myself.

FlyLady calls this "Stinkin' Thinkin'."

Today, I was busy from the moment I stepped in the door, until around 3:30, when I finally got the wide scanner to stitch and calibrate. Again, most problems were solved, with only one that remains a puzzle (but I think that one is hardware related).

Again, I made sure that I left the building for lunch, because it is a way to keep myself on track. I used to think that I needed to be the workaholic who never eats, sleeps, or has a life. Now I know how destructive those ideas were, and how they made me a grouch who wasn't eating right, sleeping right, or having any fun whatsoever.

I am trying really hard not to slip back into that...

I have been feeling sorry for myself lately, again. The busiest time of the year is right around the corner, and has been, for the last few years, a nightmare for me. I started dreading it the moment the Christmas decorations arrived in stores. This morning, my boss and I met to come up with a plan for the last three weeks of the semester. We offer 24-hour labs during part of that, and we decided to cut back the number of days of this to HALF of what we had been doing.

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I'll still work extra hours, but for only five days instead of ten. That is a more comfortable level. Less stress. Whew. More of a chance to actually enjoy the holidays.

So, the "feeling-sorry-for-poor-little-me" is over. I am going to pull myself out of my funk, break my iron-clad rule of no-Christmas-decorating-before-Thanksgiving, and start getting ready for the holidays.

Because for once, I might actually enjoy them.

1 comment:

dive said...

You WIN some, you lose some?
I knew I'd been getting it wrong all these years …

Lovely to see you've bounced back so well.