Sunday, February 11, 2007

Waste of a Day

I am still feeling pretty wiped out, but my sinuses are feeling a lot better. Still have a headache, though.

As I am starting to feel better, I am also starting to feel worse because I can see from the state of the house that it does not look as good as I thought it did. I thought I did a pretty good job at keeping up with things, except for the laundry.

Nope. The kitchen counter was cleared off quite nicely, until I spent most of the day in bed. Beware of thirteen-year-olds and an unattended kitchen. I also have to see if we have any food left...

I was tired enough today that I propped myself up in bed and watched DVDs on my computer, starting at around 10. After lunch, I fell asleep, and just woke up at around 3:15. I do feel loads better than I did even when I first woke up this morning. Rest is really important if I am going to be able to get through tomorrow, and the rest of the week. We are really, really busy every night this week, so there will not be a lot of opportunities to just relax in the evenings. Unfortunatly, we really can't miss these events.

Which brings me to another point. I am going to have to reevaluate what we spend time on in the future. I am not the type of person who has to be doing things every night of the week in order to feel important, or worthy, or happy. I know a lot of people compete to see who has less free time, who never eats at home, whose kids are involved in more activities. Not me. I don't really care if we are home more evenings and weekends than not.

Unfortunately, life has a way of pushing me into things I maybe should have said "No" to, and then suddenly, we are out of the house four evenings out of the week, or more. This wouldn't be such as issue if there were another adult around the house to take care of those things that need to be taken care of. But, there isn't. It's all done by me, the big stuff on the weekends.

Normally, I don't whine about the things that any adult needs to do to take care of a home. It just has to be done. Laundry, cleaning out the refrigerator, paying bills, vacuuming, dusting, periodically shoveling out what needs to go. Things weren't perfect, just done. Now I am looking down at the end result of being sick for most of last week, and it doesn't look pretty.

List of things to do to get the house back to normal:

1. Clean out the refrigerator - partially done
2. Laundry
3. Empty dishwasher
4. Reload dishwasher
5. Sort laundry
6. Dust
7. Clean bathroom (just did on Thursday)
8. Take out garbage (this is what kids are for)
9. Straighten up end tables, coffee table, and everywhere else my son has dumped stuff when I wasn't watching this week.
10. check vacuum for blockages
11. try to vacuum, or else get out that nearly useless carpet flick thing that I bought in a moment of weakness. The vacuum is sort of working better, but is is still having problems picking up lint from my red blanket. I will have to get a new lint roller, and see if I can get that to work, or else crawl around on my hands and knees and pick it all up by myself. Yuck.

Not the worst list, I suppose. Okay, time to get to work. I am going to set my timer and take care of the dishwasher first. I can get the kitchen into shape fairly quickly, and go from there.

No comments: