A couple of weeks ago, I was all excited because I successfully moved the radmind folder from the boot volume to another volume with more space on it. I kept the old folder around, moved it to the desktop and renamed it, just in case.
I gave myself a pat on the back for being paranoid.
So today, I was trying to solve a problem in our photo studio, where this one particular machine with a particular IP address was refusing to pull the new transcripts related to the new command file that I told it to use in the radmind config file. The config file that I could get to by typing the correct commands showed that the right command file was listed, but it was stilll pulling the old one.
It finally occurs to me that maybe radmind is pulling the config file from the old radmind folder, and not the new one. Of course, instead of testing this in a safe manner, I start off by deleting the old folder. Via ssh, through terminal. Smart, right?
Luckily, I stopped it fairly soon, but unfortunately, my server is pretty fast at the old rm -r, so a few things are missing. I am replacing them right now from my back up. It deleted things in alphabetical order, so I lost very little of importance. I am replacing the most important thing, which is the base loadset of the operating system that the lab machines are using. Oh god, this is going to suck so bad... I stopped it before it had deleted too much of the transcript - the core OS stuff wasn't deleted, TG, but some of the default installed apps were. I am doing a straight ditto of the files in the whole loadset, to be certain I am not missing anything.
It's working so far, but there are well over 100K files to copy. I'm going to be here for awhile.
So, even people who are supposed to know better do dumb crap sometimes. I hope you all feel better. But you will notice the key thing that is saving my ass right now ----- I had a backup!!!!!!!!!!! And the ability to get to that backup immediately, and the '1337 command line skills to fix the problem.
Tomorrow, I will reboot the server and see if it picks up on the new location of the core radmind process. Ought to be fun. I must have missed that key piece of the instructions when I was looking up how to move that directory...