Monday, March 20, 2006

This movie is like crack to my preteen

Saturday night, Cartoon Network showed Spirited Away. Immediately, my son wanted to watch it again. Nevermind the fact that it was 9:30 pm, and we did not tape it.

The next day, he bugged me continually, and sat watching the TV Guide channel to see if it would be coming on again.

That afternoon, we had an errand to run. He nagged quite a bit on getting to the library, to see if we could check it out. I have never seen him so whiny or intent on getting what he wanted. Total addict.

When we got home, I checked online, and discovered that the library had a waiting list for the movie. If we got on the list, it would still be six weeks until we got to check it out.

Obviously, by this time, I was about two tiny steps away from flipping out at dealing with my SA addicted child. And this after seeing the movie ONCE????

I had to run to Wal-mart anyway, so I told him that we would look for a copy there. Right... Like Wal-mart would have anime...

So, we tried Hastings, which has everything. I was tired, I had a headache, I was trying desperately to keep my temper by this point. Normally, I never give in when my son throws a fit, but for the love of God, I did not want to have to go through another minute of torture.

Finally, we found the movie. Shelled out $21.99 plus tax, as there were no used copies.

Got it home, and guess what...

Four tiny scratches, barely visible except at the right angle, which make most of the first scene completely, undeniably unwatchable... as in it jumps then completely freezes. I nearly missed seeing them when we were trying to figure out why it wasn't working correctly.

It's sitting on my desk right now, waiting to go back to Hastings, where they will probably totally deny my request for a new copy, wrongly assuming that they were user caused. I watched my son carefully handle the DVD, an addict causes no harm to the object of his addiction. I can only hope that they will do the right thing.

1 comment:

jennifer said...

Success! I was able to return the DVD for a replacement! Thanks, Hastings!