Saturday, March 18, 2006

Got more stuff done...

I just finished cutting out the pattern pieces of the bodice I want to make. Unfortunately, I decided that I didn't like it as is, so I got out the tracing paper, and traced the main pieces, then cut them out and basically redrafted the stupid thing. The original had so many damn grommet holes in it, that I swear the pattern makers had to intentionally set out to see how many they could pack in. Side lacing AND back lacing? I am using McCall's 4107, view C, as a base. I am making it all one color, except in the shoulder rolls, and the detatchable sleeves. All eyelets will be handsewn, as I can't stand metal grommets. I may use lacing rings for the back fastening instead, on this one, as I am looking to cut back on the amount of time I have to spend sewing eyelets (about 15 minutes per eyelet).

This lovely pattern also leaves out the boning channels. Not marked at all, other than an "insert boning channel here," with no specifics. If you didn't know how to do that, or where they were supposed to go, you'd be out of luck. I didn't intend for this to be a gripe session about this pattern, but I am very disappointed that I had to do so much work to modify this, especially when it is geared specifically towards ren faire use. They should at least mark the stupid boning channels. And there is no WAY you need 56 eyelets just to lace up a bodice.

Okay, end gripe about the stupid pattern...

I also managed to clean the bathroom, the kitchen, and get the grocery shopping done before 1:00 today. I stocked up on groceries, as the next few weeks (okay, six) are going to be very busy. Six weeks left until the end of the semester... In between, we have at least two weekends that will be spent camping, one Saturday at leader training (yes, I have to teach another session), DASH, my son's birthday party, VEISHEA, Easter, and all of the various events that make up our lives. I will definitely have to sit down and see how many free weekend days I have until Memorial Day weekend, and in the next six weeks. My gut feeling is that I will be spending lots of time on the couch doing hand sewing between now and then...

No comments: