Thursday, December 29, 2005

Mission Accomplished

The hat is done. Pictures to follow after I figure out how I want to decorate it. I honestly thought that it would not fit, as the smallest size on the pattern was for someone with a head two inches larger around than mine. But, the fact that I used a lightweight denim for the interfacing helped add a little bulk to the crown, so it fits fairly decently. I figured out a few more techiniques that I can incorporate into my normal sewing habits, too. So, the hat part of my new garb can be set aside for now.

I made a mock-up of a sleeve, and it turned out much better than I had expected. I am going to ditch ribbons in favor of cloth strips, as they will add more body and less flop. I found a remnant of some dark green silkese (which is faux silk, but gorgeous) that will make up the rolled part of the top of the sleeve - $.75 for 1/4 yard, which is plenty for my purpose. I also found some watered tafetta in a sage green that I am not quite sure how I will use. It was a hard to find color, even if it isn't quite the fabric I wanted for this costume (I am going for a kind of mix and match fabric and color, as if my character "found" bits of cloth from a variety of sources). JoAnn Fabrics has broadcloth on sale for $1.29/yard this weekend, but ours here in Ames did not have any colors that I wanted to use.

In any case, the main goal now is to put everything away, and tidy up all of my sewing stuff. I decided to reorganize things, in anticipation of some massive sewing jags over break. Besides the hat, though, I haven't done much of anything in that area. I think not having the skirt materials is really holding me back. I need to make other decision about the dress, but without that key fabric, the rest is stalled.

Time to get back to work!

No comments: