Sunday, December 04, 2005

OMG, I almost forgot to post today!

I managed to fill up my day with activity! I went into work at 9:00, replaced the model cartridge in the 3d printer, which meant that we were now four hours behind, as I actually went into work to start another model and the previous one had not finished because the machine ran out of material. I put gas in the car - splurged and bought regular unleaded rather than the ethanol blend for the first time since August. After getting home, my son helped me make bacon and scrambled eggs, and we had a great (if nauseating to me) breakfast (I don't like the smell of bacon, and scrambled eggs make my stomach feel icky, but he loves them). After that, I needed time to recover, so I tried to rest on the couch.

After not being able to take a nap, I decided we'd go shopping to get some gifts for the babies and others on our list. My son flat out refused to go. After about 30 seconds of arguing with me, I finally "gave in" (wink, wink), and told him he could stay at home, even though it would be really boring to go without him.

Hahahahhaha....

The upshot is, I got to get some shopping for him out of the way! I found a couple of excellent deals on things that he wanted, and learned exactly how hard it is to find a regular tub of Lego™ in this town. Oh, and I also can't find a regular set of black and white dominos anywhere! He wants to set up domino chain reactions but the white heavy ones do not work as well, and are very expensive (to be used to that). I guess I will need to start looking at the thrift stores to see if I can find any.

You should have seen his face when, after three hours of shopping, I walked in carrying two small shopping bags. One with my grab bag gift for my dad's side of the family, part of my mom's present and some gift boxes, and the other with my niece's present and some candy. "That's all you bought?!?" he asked. "What about Will's present? Or granpa's?" I just complained about the crowds, and how busy traffic was, and left it at that.

Now if only that trunk lid hadn't frozen up on me again tonight, I could have my four precious gifts wrapped and hidden in the closet already. My son never asks for much (on his real list, not the fake one he made this year to be funny), and never minds getting anything second hand (the only way to shop for video games). That is what makes it so fun to surprise him with something he never expected to be able to get! Today, I found a really great deal on something he wanted very much. I didn't have to spend a lot of money (under $20), but I know he'll be very excited.

Only a few more people on my list, and they may all get Target gift cards and leave it at that. Except my cousin Will. He's only in first grade, and too young to understand the power of the gift card. The rest, gift cards. They get what they want, it's minimal wrapping, and easy to transport in the car.

Everyone is happy!

No comments: