Saturday, December 31, 2005

New Year's Resolutions

1. Get organized, once and for all.
a) Theory: I will get rid of tons of stuff, and what's left will be easier to keep organized.
b) Fact: I have gotten rid of tons of stuff this year, and somehow, what's left tends to reproduce behind my back.
c) Plan of Attack: Get rid of stuff, and bring less stuff home. I still have tons of things that I don't need, and don't really want anymore. It is going to the dumpster. If I delude myself that it will make it to Goodwill, it will end up right along side the Christmas tree box that is still in my living room (with another box and a bag of clothes my son can't wear). Garbage. That tree is garbage, or I would not have replaced it.

2. Lose weight.
a) Fact: I was at my lowest weight in twelve years at the start of this summer. I felt great, looked good (I thought anyway), and thought that it could only get better.
b) Fact: Life got in the way, and worries about something in particular this winter have caused a bit of a weight gain. Not to the point where I can't wear my clothes, but still troubling, which is a vicious cycle.
c) Plan of action: Weight Watchers. Walking. End of discussion. Going to do it.

3. Work hard to be a better person.
a) Theory: The nicer I am to other people, the better I will feel.
b) Fact: The nicer I am to other people, the better I feel, and the more they walk all over me. It is unfortunate that people believe that to get ahead, someone else has to fall behind. That's not the case at all. I am happy where I am, with only one small exception in terms of my personal life.
c) Plan of action: Count to ten. A lot. Embrace the unique about each person I meet, and try my best to help them.

4. Do more for my family, especially parents.
a) Fact: I value my family more with every passing year. I have been incredibly lucky so far, and I hope that things will go very well for all of us in the New Year.
b) Fact: My parents have done a lot for me, my whole life. I wanted to drive to Manson when I found out that my mom had the flu. I wanted to call her so badly. Then, logic kicked in: she needs rest. She does not need to be woken to the phone, or to suddenly have house guests. I will talk with my dad tomorrow, and see how she is doing, and if help is needed, I will drop everything and drive there.
c) Plan of action: Call my sisters more, and be there when they need help. Do little things for mom and dad.

5. Not talk politics or religion with family or friends, as it will only end in misery.
a) Actually, this is a standing resolution, starting in 2000, election season.

I think that about wraps it up for this girl. Oh, and another thing: I firmly resolve to not gain any wrinkles or gray hair in the new year! (actually, I've only found five gray hairs total in the last three years, and they were white, not gray, and they were immediately pulled out. The wrinkles... I am avoiding looking. Moisturize, moisturize, and use sunscreen!).

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: