Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Oh, my aching back...

On the way home from school, right as we turned onto our street, my son turns to me and says, "We're having a potluck tomorrow at school."

My mind missed a step, and I started to say, "wha?" but then I remembered that I had a cake mix in the pantry. Whew.

The problem was, and is, that I have been so busy for the last three weeks straight, that this is pretty much the first weeknight we've spent at home in those three weeks. I had already planned to make two more items for the treat trays that I am giving my co-workers this year. I also had planned to make an ACTUAL HOME COOKED MEAL (beef and broccoli, with steamed rice, mmmm).

Then, there is the ever present laundry...

Busy night.

Two years ago, I would have panicked, and been up until after midnight trying to do all of this at once.

Last summer, I discovered FlyLady. Which means, not only did I have everything I needed in my pantry, I also already had made three of the treats that were going on the trays. I was also able to let go of my perfectionism and ditch the fifth thing I was going to make.

So, after cleaning up dinner, I sat down for fifteen minutes and took a break. Then, I made the cake, as it was a mix, and got it in the oven. While it was baking I washed up the dishes. I also put together the dough for the chocolate star cookies. So, in a little more than an hour and a half, I made a cake, made three and a half dozen cookies, and started the laundry.

I accomplished a lot this evening, and can't wait to enjoy my evening.

No comments: