Sunday, April 02, 2006

Perfectionsim rears its ugly head.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing well."

So when I spy something a little wrong about the toilet, which means it needs to be cleaned a bit, this is why I end up going overboard. I can't just clean up what's wrong. The whole thing has to be redone. And because someone is coming over later, this spreads to the floor around the toilet, then the wall. Then the sink needs to be redone. And the cabinet doors wiped off. Oh, and the medicine cabinet! I should probably wipe out the INSIDE...

And so on.

This is why I HAVE to set my timer when I clean. I have to give myself permission to NOT go overboard, just spend a set time, then move on. I had just cleaned the bathroom, top to bottom, on Thursday night. All I NEEDED to do was "swish and swipe." I did not NEED to do the other stuff.

This is why I used to end up cleaning furiously into the night before having guests over. There were no casual guests before I started FlyLady. I had to have lots of notice, because I felt that my house was NEVER good enough for anyone to come over.

When I woke up this morning, my first thought after checking my gmail, was that I had SO much to do that I could not possibly get everything done before this person picks me up. Those thoughts turned what was a pleasant anticipation into a nightmare.

When I realized what I was doing in the bathroom, I was able to step back and tell myself that it was okay to stop. I woke up from my perfectionism-induced panic. I don't have to have the laundry completely finished before someone comes over. That's what closets are for! So, my laundry is waiting in the closet until later tonight, or even tomorrow night! We have enough clothes! It doesn't all have to be done right now!

Yes, I will spend 15 minutes picking up the living room, and I will spend 7 minutes dusting (because that's all it takes, and NO, NO, NO, I am NOT dusting the tops of the shelves this person cannot see - I can do that when it comes up in the daily missions!), and I will vacuum. My new, red sofa cover is gorgeous, and makes the whole room feel better and cleaner.

My kitchen is clean, but I'll run the vacuum over the floor when I do the rest of the main areas of the living room.

If I do this, I will have plenty of time to get ready, do girly stuff, and be relaxed and ready for a fun afternoon. My house will look decent, NOT PERFECT, but good. I won't be a crazy person, trying to do too many things at once. I may even get to paint my fingernails...

My timer just went off. My fifteen minute sanity break is over. Time to get back to work. At a reasonable pace, and with the full knowlege that it doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be done. :)

No comments: