Sunday, April 09, 2006

This is what happens when I have a day at home, and have had enough sleep...

May 7th, we are going to the Iowa Renaissance Faire in the Amana Colonies. Now, I have two complete sets of garb to wear, plus two new underskirts, and a new overskirt. I sat this afternoon, after prepping a piece of golden yellow cloth for another overskirt, and realized that I really need to make a new bodice to go with the new stuff, if I want something new to wear the 7th...

The original bodice I had planned to make was not what I really wanted. It also would end up being a lot of work, what with not having made it before meaning I would have to make a mock up, fit it, then alter the pattern. It also didn't help that I am a full inch larger around the waist this year than I was last year at this time (urg...). Now, I can lose weight for the Memorial Day faire, but less than four weeks means I could lose a max of about 10 pounds, which probably wouldn't come off where I wanted it to (top and waist).

So, back to the drawing board.

Thanks to all of the pattern sales, I have plenty of choices. I finally decided that, since I don't have to work at the Amana faire, I will make an Italian style dress, prosperously middle class, and since the waist is a bit higher, if I do end up losing weight, it will still fit reasonably well. Since time is of the essence, trim will be at a minimum, and I will use a regular chemise under it, rather than making it all one piece. I will also use a separate underskirt, rather than an attached one (what is it with these costume designers insisting on one-piece dresses?). So, since the chemise and underskirt are already finished (except shortening the chemise, which is too long, and hemming the new underskirt), this should save a lot of time. I am also not going to hand-sew eyelets for this one. The italians used lacing rings, so I ran to Lowe's and bought a bunch of 5mm washers. Since they will be hidden, it doesn't matter. I can make the eyelets later, if I want.

My pieces are cut out, most of the pieces are ironed, and I will trace the bodice pieces and cut the copy, rather than the original, in case I have to make any modifications. This should be a comfortable gown, too. No corset necessary... Just light boning in the bodice should be enough to help it keep its shape.

Okay, back to work!!!!!

No comments: