Sunday, April 23, 2006

Pity Party

Wow, the pity party is going strong here at home. I am more congested today than yesterday, and my cough is to the point that I feel like I am gagging. TMI, I know, but you have to have this background to understand the rest of what I am going to write.

I had to go get groceries. I bought about 8 bags of groceries. As I was struggling to get the bags onto my arm so I can carry several, my cell phone rang. It was work, saying that the windows machines in 446 couldn't connect to the lab printers. By refles, I started to explain how to fix it, then realized that 1) doing this while trying to get the groceries in the house was not going to work, and 2) I barely have a voice left. So, I just said I'd call back once I got the groceries inside.

Despite having a perfectly capable twelve year old, I had to carry them into the house by myself.

As I was putting groceries away, Kim called to tell me that our parents were at her house, and that we'd be eating dinner late. Which means we'd miss it, because of DASH. I just about burst into tears at that point, because there are a million things I need to do to get ready for a WEEK OF ELEVEN HOUR DAYS, but I stopped myself. She let me tell her what was wrong, and I decided that dropping off the movies at work, and letting the kids know how to start things would be enough. I shouldn't have to miss out on my family, especially when it was just my son's birthday.

Then, when I called back and got more information about the work problem, I discovered that they hadn't told me everything. All of the computers were having problems, Mac and Windows, which means that I know exactly how to fix it! (The dual nic sometimes gets confused as to which is supposed to be talking to the network, and which talks only to the printers.) Unfortunately, the lab monitor couldn't login with the info I gave him, so I am going to have to spend a little more time there before going over to Kim's than I had planned. I hope to God that this is the problem, or if it isn't, that it is a University problem. Oooh, better check Big Brother to see... crap, green across the board...

So, please forgive this mini-melt-down. I will feel better shortly, once I hold my nephew, and chase him around the house for a bit. I hate feeling like this. Someone once told me that a pity party is allowed to last only over the weekend, and that you should approach the coming week with a clean heart and soul, fresh outlook, etc. But what can you do if you aren't allowed the chance to get it out of your system?

No comments: