Sunday, April 30, 2006

Stroke of genius

I had tried everything to get my dress to fit right. I was very frustrated last night. I was hesitant to pick apart the back boning channels, and cut it down to size, because I could have made things worse.

The lacing rings were in the right spot, but it was the cable tie boning that was making the back bow out. The dress was about an inch and a half too big at the top back of the bodice, and just about perfect at the waist. I didn't want to mess that up by cutting away too much. I tried folding in one row of cable ties, hand sewing which took about an hour. No luck.

So, I ripped off all of the lacing rings, and all of the hand sewing I had done.

I sewed a hook and eye set at the top and bottom, just to see if they would work before sewing on the other 4 sets. And promptly remembered why I hate hooks and eyes for anything except closing skirts. They come undone with the slightest shrugging of shoulders.

At that point, I went to bed to try to sleep.

This morning, when I woke up for the first time at 6:30, I had my answer. I rolled over and went back to sleep, since 6 hours of sleep was not going to cut it today.

When I woke up, I ripped off the hooks and eyes, and...

Sewed the whole back shut.

I can wiggle into the dress, which has been confirmed. Getting out of the dress is a different matter, but it's possible.

The green dress is SAVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: