Friday, January 27, 2006

From the costume files...

I finished sewing the first layer of cartridge pleats on the underskirt to the waistband (sew the valleys to the waistband). All I have left is to sew the peaks to the waistband, add the hooks and snaps, and figure out how much of a hem I need.

The last will be the trickiest.

I have a corded petticoat (red, of course, ;) but it needs to be shortened a bit, and needs a LOT more cord in it. The taffeta underskirt looks pretty good over it, the right amount of fullness. However, the overskirt is going to be pretty heavy. I honestly don't know HOW I am going to pleat five yards of material into a waistband that fits me. (Like I was really going to tell the internet how big around my waist is... what I will tell you is that I used to have a 26" waist in high school... it's not that anymore. ;)

Anyway, the skirt is one of those "seemed like a good idea at the time," situations. I wanted a very specific look, and I did the math, so to speak, on what proportions would look good for the alternating stripes. Now I have this huge length of material that looks like a tent wall. I think I am going to have to do some layering of pleats, or maybe a deeper pleat, 3/4 inch instead of 1/2 inch when I prep the fabric. I probably won't know for sure until I try it. This is a full 3/4 of a yard more than I have ever attempted to use for this purpose.

I also made a mistake when I started sewing the underskirt to the waistband. I started little higher on the waistband than I normally do. The upside is that I think it will actually work a lot better that way. It looks fuller so far, but that could just be due to the fact that taffetta has a bit of body to it, even the cheap stuff. I am already loving how it looks, and wishing that I had been able to get more.

One thing became clear when I tried on my favorite blue bodice, though. I desperately need to lose weight. What a difference in nearly five months... I will do a mock up of the new bodice, I think, but I will wait to sew it until the month before the next faire, which looks to be the one in Omaha. Or maybe I should have it ready for the Iowa Renaissance Festival, as a trial run, and fix any glaring problems that may arise.

Or maybe I should make something new for that one, too. :)

No comments: