Sunday, January 22, 2006

Mash 'em up.

For the last couple of years, I have been heavy into the whole mix genre of music. It's to the point where I get shocked when I hear a song on the radio, and realize that I know the lyrics but to a different beat and tune. Music is so much more interesting when others are allowed to interpret and mix multiple sources. You end up listening to a much greater range of artists, discovering new favorites in the process. There are some really wonderful DJs out there.

I have been frustrated with the radio stations around here. They play the same old music, at pretty much the same time every day. They are not serving their stated purpose of intruducing us to new music. They play what they think people want to hear, but there is one particular station that just ticks me off to no end. This station plays hit music without "all the rap." In fact, if some artists collaborate, they STRIP OUT THE HIP HOP! Excuse me, I want my music as the artist intended.

Wonder why so many people are buying iPods and other mp3 players?

Do a google search for mashup music and you will get a glimpse into the future of music. Look for stuff by the Kleptones and DJ Reset, along with a host of others I am forgetting (comes from throwing stuff on the iPod shuffle, and just listening rather than seeing names). Fun stuff!

No comments: