Thursday, January 19, 2006

Warning: Sewing post ahead...

So, I decided that I really wanted to work on my new garb tonight. I spent a good 30 minutes ironing the five yards of fabric that comprise the overskirt. Three, one yard panels of celery green, two 3/4 yard panels of crimson, and two 1/2 yard panels of crimson. The two smallest panels will make up the front of the overskirt, and will be left open. The other panels will alternate colors around the skirt. The underskirt still needs to be attached to the waistband. And I need to actually make the waistband for both skirts.

I sewed the back three panels together (red, green, red). Then I sewed the right two panels together (red, green), and the left two panels together (green, red). I finshed and pressed all seams. It takes longer when you zig-zag the seam, and trim it, but since I tore the fabric to get straight edges very quickly, this is worth the extra five minutes or so. The next step will be to press under three inches on each of the front panels, and sew on the trim (Christmas clearance, gold transclucent ribbon with tiny gold embroidery - very subtle, but will add a bit of sparkle and definition to the edges of the overskirt).

I did discover to my dismay, that the width of the two fabrics I used are not equal. For some reason the quilter's cotton washed and shrank to 44 inches wide, while the broadcloth stayed at 45 wide. All it means is that I will have a harder time with the hem that I would have had they been equal.

I am still wavering on the sleeves. I bought enough taffeta to make the sleeves, but I am thinking that I would like red sleeves rather than green. Or, when I make the individual panels, I could sandwich crimson grosgrain ribbon between the pieces, so that the green panels are edged in red. I think that would provide definition to the pieces, and variety. It will also help save taffeta, which means I can use it for trim for either the bodice or other projects. I should scan and post the sketch, just in case anyone is interested.

I feel like I got a lot done in a little over an hour. The hardest part is always getting the ironing finished, simply because three yards is pretty hard to iron when you take into consideration the fact the ironing boards are, at best, about a foot wide.

Now everything is neatly folded and stowed away, ready to be worked on tomorrow night. Saturday, we may be going to a big LEGO Tournament at the university, and then I am taking my son to the eye doctor's. We may or may not be skiing Saturday night. I managed to do something to my knee while WALKING today, so I have been limping a bit. I am not sure if I want to risk it on the slopes. I may send my son along with another friend, and just enjoy a little time doing something without KIDS. I love kids, especially my own, but sometimes a little grown-up time is needed to maintain SANITY. I don't know what I want to do yet, but with four kid-free hours, I'm sure I could think of something...

Night all!

No comments: