Tuesday, July 25, 2006

All is well?

I am tentatively pronouncing my sewing machine as "operational", for the time being. I bought a new type of needle, specifically for knits, and I am just sewing very slowly. So far, the only thing I had to do was increase the tension a bit, and it is doing a decent job so far.

The tabs are attached to the body of the doublet, and I am now starting to baste the lining to it, after pressing the seam allowance of the lining, and pinning it to the doublet. At this point, the instructions call for it to be hand sewn to the doublet, but with the weight of the outer material, it will never stay pressed, so I am top stitching all critical seams, so that it will hold its shape. After this is done, I can start on the trims and, hopefully, decorative stitching on the front (quilting was popular as a way to add interest to areas of clothing). Texture was important.

I dislike the first option in this sample photo - too tacky looking. IRL it looks like I took silver and black rick-rack and sewed it down. Yuck. I love the second option, and am thinking of using a black braid trim in addition to the beading. It reminds me of the doublet worn by the Sherrif of Nottingham in "Men in Tights." Very sexy, and E-VIL. Muahahahaha!

Two Possible Decorations

This is a test to see what this would look like. Sort of. Well, it will look a heck of a lot better in real life. If the Sherrif lets me do this. Why do all fashion drawings look like they are for slouchy, weak men instead of the chest out, shoulders back type of men who swagger around with a tankard in one hand and a sword in the other, while singing drinking songs with the tavern wenches??? Pattern designers: You are designing for Manly Men™ who go to Ren Faires, and joust and sword fight and stuff. Yeah. Turkey Legs. Ale.

Anyway, here it is:

Silver Front pattern

No comments: