Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Perseverance

It is seldom that I, the Geek Girl, spend so much time preparing for any one thing. Yes, ten days of preparation have led up to this one moment in time...

A shining moment, at the end of ten long days of remembering to do one tiny thing each day, gently kneading, then on the sixth day, adding and kneading. The tenth day has arrived triumphantly!!!

Did it stay alive? Or would I be left with a batch of sour gunk, to be tossed away like something rank and disgusting?

I squeezed the mix out of the bag, carefully added flour, sugar, and milk and stirred... Scooped out four cups of batter into four waiting ziplock bags (one has YOUR name on it...). Then, I gathered my weapons of choice, to prepare for the next battle...

15 minutes later, I emerged, a floury mess of sugar, and um... flour. Egg shells, vanilla pudding boxes, cinnamon, more sugar littered the counter. I lifted my two victims, and gently placed them in the oven at 325°F, for an hour.

I waited...

Finally, the alarm sounded! Time to retrieve my precious preciousy goop.

Did it? Oh did it...?

Ahhh... I sniffed the air smugly. Mmmmm....

They sat, cooling, tempting me to commit all manner of atrocities with my knife. But wait... wait...

Finally, the moment of truth arrived. I gently removed a knife from the block, and contemplated my first incision. Too small? Too big? Nah... just right. I sliced, breaking through the crust of cinnamon and sugar, carefully prising out my... um... prize.

The first bite, almost against my will, not wanting to spoil the wonderful aroma with a taste that may well end up rotten... Ohhhhh.... Mmmmm....

Ten days?

Worth it.

No comments: