Monday, July 24, 2006

Fly Lady mission today

The 15-minute mission for today was to go through the master bedroom and get rid of any trash. Set the timer for 15 minutes and just get rid of the trash without thinking about it. (We are turning the master bedroom into a "vacation get-away", a place to be peaceful and restful).

Okay, so I did that, and it took about two minutes, including emptying the little garbage can I have next to my sewing table. So, I picked up some stray socks and threw them into the laundry basket. Then I started cleaning up my room in earnest.

Now, due to the fact that I really, really need a three bedroom apartment, so I can keep my sewing stuff out of my bedroom, and the fact that I had been getting ready for a garage sale, my room was the messiest it has been in well over two years. It was shut-the-door-if-anyone-is-coming-over-messy. I was not taking care of me by having a messy room.

When the 15 minutes was up, I did a no-no. I reset the timer.

At the end of an hour, I had located all of my tools and put them back in the toolbox where they belong. I had gone through my ribbons and trims, and put them neatly in a clear storage container that used to hold stuff that went to the garage sale. I put bias tape in a ziplock, and put trim remnants in another ziplock. I rearranged my tiny white cabinet to hold the storage bin. I found space in the cabinet for my rolls of tracing paper, three-hole punch and old pen cup. I cleaned off the top of the cabinet. I straightened out my box of beads, and my box of snaps/hooks & eyes/lacing rings, etc. I put all of my sewing stuff in the proper places. I cleaned out the drawer in my sewing table, and just dumped the contents into a xerox box. I lined the drawer with paper I had bought when I wanted to get into scrapbooking (I discovered costuming instead, so I never used it), and put my sewing machine manual, and my quilting rulers in it.

I still have a box of CDs to put back in the cd rack (which is behind the cabinet, so it is hidden. I had pulled them out when I was working on the garage sale stuff, and had been too busy to put them back (# cardinal rule: never take out more than you can put back). I also now have that box of junk from the sewing table to go through, and there is a medium storage box with old computer cables and such that I need to go through.

My room is still not exactly where I want it to be, but I am not going to worry about that tonight. My back hurts, I am tired, but I feel like I really got a lot done today.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow's mission is going to be!

No comments: