Sunday, August 13, 2006

Corset - Done!

I finished putting the hooks and eyes on the front of the corset (6 sets, 2 inches apart - coat hooks and eyes). I alternated the hooks and eyes on each side, so that they won't come undone through movement.

Things worked pretty much as I expected. It is easy to get into, and easy to get out of, with one small caveat...

When you have to lace into a corset, your body has a chance to get used to the reduced amount of air flow. Not so much with a renaissance corset, which merely compresses the upper body into a cone shape, rather than an hourglass. With this corset, which is prelaced in the back to the approximate width needed (about two inches between the sides), once you are hooked into it, the difference in air flow is immediate, and if you make a mistake in the distance needed between the two sides, the stomach doesn't like it a lot. There was a half an inch difference in my waist measurement after I put the corset on tonight, from Friday night. Smaller, of course. The corset was actually pretty comfortable, all things considered. I won't have to worry about anything moving up top, that's for sure (I know, TMI).

So, everything is going fairly well. I did NOT cut into the red fabric tonight, like I had planned. I had planned on all sorts of things that did not happen today, due to a meeting that I had tonight.

My revised list is as follows (and yes, I won't go to sleep until around midnight, but that's normal):

1. Finish the Sheriff's Doublet once and for all!!! (BTW, the Sheriff had a close call with a table saw yesterday... he's lucky that all he did was score his fingernail... shudder)
2. Rip out the cartridge pleating on the green taffeta underskirt, so I can add an extra panel. (five minutes to rip out, it took over three hours to do in the first place, but I desperately am trying to save the money so I can use it on the visible areas of my costume)...

I will end this blog post as I have the last few... back to work!!!

No comments: